Sunday, January 12, 2014

About me: A little food; a little math.

I love love love love love to cook.  I make everything homemade as often as time will allow.  I'm looking forward to summer, when I can harvest abundant quantities of asparagus from the lush, deep ditches.  Oh, or fresh-picked tomatoes, still warm from the hot summer sun?  That sounds awesome right about now, as I freeze in this old farmhouse.  Spaghetti was tonight's quest.  No, I didn't use fresh tomatoes--but whole peeled-and-canned tomatoes are fine for a great sauce.  No recipe, just old-fashioned kitchen instincts.  Once you make this sauce, you won't tolerate any jarred concoction from the store.  I know, there's some pretty decent sauces out there...for $6!  Are you kidding me?!  Stop it.  Make your own.  Here's a scaffold for you:

Heat some olive oil in a pot on the stove--like, four times around the pan.  I use my Dutch oven. 
I use medium low heat.  Know your stove.  You might need to go lower or higher.
Add some diced onions.  Some days I use two; some days only one.  However I feel that day.
Please please please salt the onions.
Add a few dashes of crushed red pepper--or more.  Or none.  Whatever. 
Cook until your onions are nice and soft. 
Add a pat or two of unsalted butter.  Do NOT use any fake crap--that defeats the purpose.
Grate in some fresh garlic.  I use 4-6 cloves.  Don't burn the garlic!  Yuck.
After about a minute or so, you need to add the tomatoes.  If it was summer, I would throw a pile of fresh tomatoes in the pot.  I still might buy some from the store and throw them in--even cherry or grape tomatoes are delicious.  But it's not summer.  So...
Pour in a can of whole peeled tomatoes.  San Marzanos are the best because they are very fleshy and make a nice sauce.  They also cost more.  Whole peeled plum tomatoes are fine.  One big can or two small cans.  Tonight I threw in some generic store brand because that's what Mike bought.  And I didn't drain them--dump it all in!
Time to salt the pot again!  Now, is addition to the salt, you need to add some other seasonings.
Basil
Oregano
Parsley
This is what I use.  You could buy an Italian seasoning blend.  Whatever you want.  I don't measure, so don't ask.  Just season and taste and repeat until it tastes good.
Are you wondering about those whole tomatoes in the pot?  I just eat them whole.
Just kidding. 
I have a stick blender and I purée everything into a lovely sauce. 
Remember what I said?  Taste, season, taste, season...until it is right.
Now, for those of you do NOT have a stick blender...
Don't buy whole peeled tomatoes.  Just buy plain old tomato sauce.  I think the big can is 28oz.
So, now you add your pasta right into the pot and mix it up.  The end.  Add meat of you want.  sometimes I make fresh pasta, but not on school nights.  It was a Barilla Plus angel hair night for me.
Enjoy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment